Saffron Rice with Dried Fruits + Nuts
Live a life of rice luxury. A pinch of saffron, apricots, and nuts just makes you feel like a queen, or king. The best part? It's super flavorful but also vegan and gf for your guests that need a little extra ❤️
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 fresh (preferably) bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chiffonaded flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, medium diced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashew pieces, lightly toasted (if raw)
- 3 green onions, sliced 1/8" thick
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon high quality olive oil
- Heat water, saffron, salt, and bay leaf over high heat until the water comes to a boil.
- Stir in rice, raisins, and apricots. Stir constantly, so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan, until the water comes back up to a simmer. Put lid on the pan and turn heat to low. Allow to cook for 15 mins, then remove from heat and let sit for 5 mins.
- Transfer rice to a large mixing bowl. Remove bay leaf. Fluff with fork or rice paddle and add butter and olive oil.
- Toss in cashews and almonds followed by green onions and parsley. Salt to taste if needed. Serve immediatly.
*Rice can hold in a warm place for a couple of hours. Do not add nuts or herbs until ready to serve.