Butternut Squash Spaghetti with Chili Crumbs and Basil
t's time to hunker down for some comfort food and get ready for this cold. Winter. Is. Here. (for the weekend). Butternut squash spaghetti with chili crumbs and basil.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and large diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and large diced
- 1 box barilla spaghetti
- 1/2 cut picked basil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons butter, preferably unsalted
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Place butternut, garlic, and onion in a large stock pot. Cover with water by half an inch, add one teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn to medium to medium high heat and simmer until there is no resitance in the butternut with a knife.
- Remove pot from heat and puree all ingredients in a blender on high until smooth (like baby food), about 1 min.
- Put puree in a medium sauce pot on low heat. Whisk in 2 teaspoons salt and heavy cream. Keep warm.
- Return stock pot back to heat to cook pasta. Cook as directed on the box.
- While pasta water comes to a boil, melt butter in a medium saute pan. Once foaming begins, add chili flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add bread crumbs and stir until all of the crumbs are coated with the chili butter. Continue to stir until the breadcrumbs are fully toasted, about 2 mins. Remove from heat and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- To serve, spoon squash over spaghetti and top with chili crumbs, parmesan, and fresh basil