ery few things remind me of my childhood more thn my mom's lentil soup. As soon as the cold hits, you can be sure she's got a pot of this stuff on the stove.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, small dice
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled, halfed, and cut 1/8" thick
- 1/2 cup celery, washed and cut 1/8" thick
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 small cans chicken stock
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with basil (or basil, garlic, and oregano)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a large stock pot over medium heat. Once warm add canola oil wait 30 seconds and add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5 mins or until vegeatbles are just starting to soften.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 min. Turn pot to high and add the stock, lentils, rice, and oregano. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 20 mins, stiring occasionally
- Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper to the stew, bring back to a simmer, and cook for another 5 mins.