- 1 pound medium shrimp
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 20 small spring roll wrappers
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Duck sauce or sweet chili sauce for dipping
1. Peel and devein the shrimp and coarsely chop.Coarsely chop the remaining shrimp.
2. In a food processor, finely chop the carrot. Add the onion finely chop. Add the chopped shrimp, fish sauce, oil, salt and pepper; process just until blended.
3. Place the spring roll wrapper in front of you so that there is a point facing you. Place ½ tablespoon of shrimp mixture just above the center of the wrapper. Brush the edges lightly with the beaten egg. Bring the lower corner to the upper corner to make a triangle. Seal the wrapper tightly, making sure not to leave any large air bubbles. Bring the two long edges together to meet and seal together with a dot of the beaten egg.
4. In a heavy saucepan, heat the vegetable oil to 350 degrees; over moderately high heat. Fry 3 or 4 dumplings at a time, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. If necessary, lower the heat so that the oil won't smoke. Drain the dumplings briefly on paper towels, then transfer to a platter and keep warm. Serve with a bowl of duck or sweet chili sauce for dipping.